Services for Students
Every year, the BYU–Hawaii Reading Writing Center engages in more than 6000 face-to-face tutorials. Tutorials last for 45 minutes and are based on your sense of the help you would like to receive. We do not simply proofread or edit papers, but if you are willing to sit down with a tutor and discuss your writing assignments, our tutors can help you find ways to strengthen your writing. Come discover how helpful a tutorial can be!
The Reading Writing Center's one-on-one tutorials can assist you in whatever writing or reading assignments you may need help with. Our experience is diverse and we can help you with all types of writing or reading assignments. It doesn't matter if it's EIL or your final research paper.
Our purpose is to improve your writing, not to proofread and fix your paper. This means we need your involvement and input throughout the tutorial. Come prepared with an idea of what you need help with and we can help you even better.
In order to get help on your assignment, make an appointment with us by either coming into the center and asking the person at the desk for an appointment or calling us at (808) 675-3629.
- You can make only 1 appointment per day.
- You can have only 2 appointments per week.
- If you're 5 or more minutes late to your appointment, it is liable to be given to someone else.
- If you are more than 10 minutes late to your appointment, your absence will be recorded as a MISS.
- Missing 3 appointments will ban you from scheduling anymore. You will still be allowed to use the wait list.
- If you want a stamp or signature showing you came in, the appointment must be at least 15 minutes long.
- You must bring a freshly printed copy of your paper to the tutorial (free from markings).
Throughout the semester, tutors will host workshops on various aspects of writing. These workshops include topics such as grammar, writing a strong thesis statement, organizing a research paper, citing sources, etc. All students are invited to attend. Times and dates will vary with each semester. All workshops will be held in McKay 101. All students are welcome to attend. Seating is limited to number of chairs in the room. First come first serve.
The lab program is a semester long program that is intended to help improve a specific area of writing throughout the entirety of the semester. The purpose is to learn how to write acceptable in and out of class essays and utilize available resources to identify and overcome writing problems. Our labs are focused on writing, not grammar. Therefore, the lab program is writing intensive.
You will be enrolled into the lab program by your teacher if he or she feels you could benefit from it. It is only open for enrollment and registration within the first few weeks of the semester following lab assignments by teachers. To enroll, you'll be given a sheet of paper by your teacher with instructions to come into the Center and sign up.
- There is only one tutorial per week (your lab assignment doesn't count as a regular appointment; therefore, you can make an additional 2 appointments per week).
- Confirmation of your attendance will be sent to your teacher every week.
- The lab program will continue until the end of the semester or until you are released from the program by your teacher.
- If you miss two (2) lab appointments, you will be automatically dropped from the lab program.
- Failure to meet requirements may affect your class grade.
- You may reschedule your appointment to avoid a miss if it is within the same week and with your lab tutor.